You can access the Video Chat solution on the ThreeFold Now Marketplace directly here. Please note that the marketplace is currently running on testnet.
Online services that provided end user-friendly video conferencing solutions are in high demand, and many of the providers of such services have seen a tremendous increase in usage statistics. Using centralized services for video conferencing creates silos of users that can communicate because they use the same tool. And it allows the man in the middle – the video conferencing platform – to collect and market data captured by end user usage.
How do other solutions work?
- When Zoom became a very popular (free of charge) video conferencing solution, they changed the policy in terms of how you connected through their platform to others uses.
- In this case, if you had a free account, all free account users were connected through US based Zoom (central) infrastructure.
- This leads to very inefficient capacity usage and the potential for oversight by US agencies and authorities.
Example of the current solution
This examples is for two users of the Zoom service with a free account based in Salzburg and Vienna (both in Austria).
How our solution works and what makes it different
In an ideal world, two two users would connect directly. There is no need to make this connection go through any infrastructure that is not in line to make the connection, and this can be done by creating a so called peer-to-peer video conferencing solution.
Such a peer-to-peer video conferencing solution has been created and exists on the ThreeFold Grid and within the ThreeFold Now marketplace. It has been designed and built by the ThreeFold Tech team and will have a one-click deployment option.
Tutorial: How to Deploy
- First, visit the Video Chat solution live on the marketplace
- You'll be asked to enter a solution name – this can be anything and is simply to identify your specific deployment and will also be used in the deployment's unique URL
- Once you enter this information, all you need to do is wait for the solution to deploy. You can keep an eye on the screen for progress.
- Upon completion, you'll see a link to view your solution live and it will remain live in your My Workloads section for three hours.